Some of my favorite brews

Some of my favorite brews

Friday, December 2, 2011

Heathenous Monk's Brews

My basic idea for this blog is just to highlight my brewing and cooking adventures. I started brewing about 2 years ago.

The first batch of ale that I brewed was a liquid extract kit provided by Homebrew Headquarters in Dallas. It was a Belgian Wit in style. To this day, that is my Father in Law and his Brothers favorite ale that I have brewed. It was modest in flavor and alcohol content. That was the only all extract brew that I have made.

From there, I went directly into partial mash brewing. I used some dry malt extract and adjunct grains to brew my second batch, which was a nice Belgian Dubbel. I did not follow the exact recipe that time, I took some liberties with the extract to boost the alcohol some. From that brew on, I was hooked. I had gotten a taste for how easy it was to work with grains and I had a good time tweaking to turn that liquid into what I wanted.

My third batch was my first all grain. I made a British Stout. I followed a recipe from "Radical Brewing" by Randy Mosher. I changed the recipe again by adding a larger quantity of malt to boost the alcohol and I also added coffee. My Brother in Law loved this ale, but he was one of the few who did. I do not think the coffee translated well into that beer. I think I would have preferred just the stout unadulterated.

Many of the brews that I have done since that time are a blur of hardware and recipe tweaking from the many books and websites that I have read. I would use portions of many things I would see in books and on sites and would tweak to my own personal tastes. I made an IPA, which made my hophead friends happy, and I found my true liquid love during this time...Belgian Ales.

Some of my more current brews were brewed from my own head. I created "The Raven", a nice Belgian Strong Dark Ale. This ale was created for my theater teacher. I had planned on delivering it to him, but sadly, he passed away the weekend that I was going to bottle. Instead of bottling, I left the ale to age in the secondary for an additional 6 months. Upon kegging, I learned that it had turned into a 15% alcohol monster. I was shocked that the alcohol could not be tasted or smelled, while acting like a sledgehammer to myself and my friends. I have also created a Belgian Strong Pale, Belgian Pale Ale, Belgian Kriek, Flemish Oud Bruin, Belgian Chocolate Milk Stout, and I have plans/recipe for a Belgian IPA.

I built a Keezer, which is a chest freezer that I converted into a kegerator that has a 8" sleeve around the top, which has the taps mounted to it. I plan on drilling and mounting some antlers from a recent hunting trip as the new tap handles. I will be staining one of them with some coffee. This will be done since I almost always have one pale and one dark on tap. That idea just seemed to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment